Wednesday, May 01, 2013

BRILLiant Elephant!

April 30, 2013
Elephant
Created by David Brill
Folded by Michael Sanders
27 1/2" by 27 1/2" square of elephant hide (Wyndstone paper).

Brilliant Origami was one of the first books I picked up (I think after Origami Sculptures) when I discovered in 2000 that origami had evolved beyond paper cranes and masu boxes (stuff I had been folding on and off since childhood).  I had always wanted to fold the elephant and had made two other attempts over the years, never taking it to completion.  First time was with regular commercial kami.  Second attempt I took a break and to this day, don't know what I did with the half-baked model.  If I remember, I had issues with the paper choice, as well.

Wyndstone?  Including the nickname- "elephant hide"- this paper was perfect for the model!

My fold-interpretation itself isn't all that great; but I'm still pleased with how it turned out.  It took me a couple of days to finish, however, since I applied mc once I had to start shaping the body, legs, and head.

I should get a blow dryer....

No comments: