Friday, November 23, 2018

My Mother



Masae Sanders (on the right) engaged in the traditional Japanese art of folding cranes



My dad brought photo albums from their Colorado home to their home in Penn Valley so that I could go through and scan them into digital form (I drove up here for Thanksgiving).

I found this one of my mom (on the right) doing origami! We don't know the year, location, or why she was doing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But there she goes.

My first introduction to origami was when I was 8 years old, vacationing in Japan, as I occasionally did during the summertime.  My cousins started me off with simple sonobe cube box, masu box (I was really into folding nesting boxes- about 50 packed into one!), cranes, and other traditional models.

I folded those on-and-off all through my life into adulthood.  I only discovered modern origami around 1999/2000.



No comments: