Sunday, October 21, 2018

Dwarf using a human-sized violin for a cello




Dwarf
Created by Eric Joisel
Folded by Michael Sanders
30 cm x 30 cm square of elephant hide
Source:  Crease Pattern

Originally, I was going to make this dwarf a violinist; however, I misjudged the size of paper And it ended up too large for a violin; but fortunately about the right size for a cello.  Perhaps a human violin used as a cello for a dwarf-sized creature?  The instrument and bow aren't glued to the hands (yet); they're just balanced for the camera shot.



Cello/violin
Designed by Eric Joisel/Alexander Kurth
Folded by Michael Sanders
5 cm x 30 cm tissue foil





This is my third Eric Joisel dwarf (other two were folded several years ago- 2013?). 

Picaruelo's Origami was helpful, to an extent.  Collapsing the crease pattern was challenging for me (moreso than the basic dwarf cp I folded before) and eventually I abandoned trying to follow the CP and just went with what made sense.

This one will be my first musician; and I may try my hand at folding an entire orchestra. I’ve found my motivation on getting back into folding some dwarves.
I spread working on the model out over the course of 3 days, from folding the crease pattern to final shaping last night.





No comments: