Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Hana-Ichimonme in Little Tokyo




These origami models appear in the cashier window display at Hana-Ichimonme, which is found on the third floor of the Little Tokyo Galleria.  I've known about these models for many years now; and I think I contributed a Komatsu rabbit (shown in the next photo) over a decade ago (visiting specifically to see the models and not to eat there).

Terry Hall used to head the WCOG.  He and another folder who I never had the pleasure to meet, Po-Tei, frequented this restaurant.  I think a number of these models were folded by them.  Po-Tei, in particular, is an exquisite folder of Montroll models.  I have never seen a more precise and well-shaped husky as the ones folded by Po-Tei and left at Yamaguchi's on Sawtelle and Olympic in Santa Monica (pop & grand pop store was closed down a number of years ago); and also at Rafu Bussan.





A reviewer:

Where do I even begin this review.  I have been going to Hana ichimonme for at least 25 years.  I have so many fond memories of going here and ordering the yakisoba that came on a little snail plate, and finishing off the meal with a shaved ice with condensed milk... I used to love staring at the plastic food displays in the window and then the origami by the cash register while my dad would pay for the bill.
I am so happy that hana ichimonme is still around.  Today my menu item of choice has changed a bit.  I now love getting the sansai ramen.  I really love the mountain vegetables, and this is one of the only places that I prefer getting the shoyu based ramen broth.  It's interesting to see how little has changed about this restaurant, but I really hope it doesn't.  It is one of the only things that has lasted throughout the years in the plaza, and for good reason.

Read Juliana T.'s review of Hana Ichimonme on Yelp









No comments: