Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Aspiring to Fold too Close to the Sun




“Love gives you wings. Icarus and the Challenger both had wings, and so did my first love letter, after I folded it up and flung it at my crush.
” 
― Jarod Kintz, This is the best book I've ever written, and it still sucks 

Icarus
Created by Takashi HOJYO
Folded by Michael Sanders
January 27, 2003
Photo by Erica Knopper

A decade ago I was in love with this model.  I remember Peter Farina and I both joined JOAS just to acquire the special diagrams.  I've been an ongoing member ever since.

Although still a favorite, I folded it no more than 3 times; nor have I folded it in a decade; it remains a special favorite to me.


“I’ve never been certain whether the moral of the Icarus story should only be, as is generally accepted, ‘don’t try to fly too high,’ or whether it might also be thought of as ‘forget the wax and feathers, and do a better job on the wings.” 
― Stanley Kubrick


One day, I'll get around to folding it again.

...And do a better job on the wing.

No comments: